Not this again...
Jul. 3rd, 2013 08:44 amI'm getting GLTAS feels coming back full force after seeing some fan arts, and it's killing me. I emotionally distanced myself from that show shortly after it ended simply because I had to. I don't normally get fanatical about TV shows, so this was a big deal to me. There have been only two other shows throughout my whole life that have had such an impact on me: Star Treck TNG and Batman TAS. Don't ask me why those two shows (especially the former, I know how cheesy and downright stupid the writing can be, but it doesn't change my feelings.). I was really loving TMNT, but for some reason I can't explain, it never had the hold on me that GLTAS did, and for some other reason I can't put my finger on, I've lost interest in that show.
I was thinking about these shows and wondering why they had such an effect on me and if they have anything in common that I find appealing. But I can't figure it out really. To me it's interesting though, that in a way, GLTAS combines elements from the two other shows I obsessively loved. I mean, there's the whole Bruce Timm and Paul Dinni take on DC combined with the Star Treck formula. That doesn't really explain why I love this show so much, but that is sort of interesting (if you find really inane things interesting, that is)
Will I do some GLTAS fan art though? I don't know. I'm not getting involved in fandoms any more though, thats for sure. But I'm able to add things to my DA gallery and even submit them to groups without getting engrossed in the fandom like I did on tumblr. But if I do anything, I want it to have some kind of narrative to it, either an implied one or in actual sequential art. I've drawn those characters so much that just drawing beauty pieces of them is boring at this point... IDK, if I come up with some good idea that helps me work through my "feels" I'll do it. If not, I'll just watch old episodes of the show, eat lots of chocolate, and cry.
I was thinking about these shows and wondering why they had such an effect on me and if they have anything in common that I find appealing. But I can't figure it out really. To me it's interesting though, that in a way, GLTAS combines elements from the two other shows I obsessively loved. I mean, there's the whole Bruce Timm and Paul Dinni take on DC combined with the Star Treck formula. That doesn't really explain why I love this show so much, but that is sort of interesting (if you find really inane things interesting, that is)
Will I do some GLTAS fan art though? I don't know. I'm not getting involved in fandoms any more though, thats for sure. But I'm able to add things to my DA gallery and even submit them to groups without getting engrossed in the fandom like I did on tumblr. But if I do anything, I want it to have some kind of narrative to it, either an implied one or in actual sequential art. I've drawn those characters so much that just drawing beauty pieces of them is boring at this point... IDK, if I come up with some good idea that helps me work through my "feels" I'll do it. If not, I'll just watch old episodes of the show, eat lots of chocolate, and cry.
no subject
Date: 2013-07-05 12:29 am (UTC)To be honest, in hindsight, I don't think the show was as perfect and flawless as everyone said it is. Sure, it had some really good moments -and those it did exceptionally well-, but the Razaya stuff -which I had no interest on- eclipsed everything, and when I was excited for the stuff I liked (Larfleeze in particular), I remember someone got really passive-aggressive and tetchy b/c they didn't like Larfleeze at all and made a point every time I posted something positive about the episode. (I unfollowed them shortly thereafter)
Then again, I've pretty much pulled out of the GL fandom in general (I'll get into that in my journal at a later time), so I apologize for my bitterness. =/
no subject
Date: 2013-07-05 01:59 am (UTC)But I just ignored them and gradually stopped following fans who irritated me and I was able to separate my feelings about the fandom from my feelings about the show. And after that mass unfollowing I recently did, I only see some occasional fan arts from art blogs I still follow, so that helps me distance myself even more. But I never connected with GLTAS fans anyway. I made some friends in the GL comic fandom but the new GL fans that were attracted by the show were so cliquish it was just strange. There were some people, especially the popular fans but also their satellites, that would keep track of my art through the tags and fav, reblog, and even comment on most of it, but they wouldn't follow me, even when I'd follow them. That's fine, but I got the impression that while they liked my art, they didn't like me.
But you know, that's fine. I've come to realize that I like the way things were before the show when there were a handful of people who knew about my art that I could geek out with, without feeling like I'm in some kind of middle school popularity contest. And I don't need a big audience to show my fan art to, I just want to share my love of these characters with a few other people who share my love for them. Sure, it was quite a boost to get close to 600 notes on one of my comics, that kind of thing does help me to see that I'm capable of doing things people like. But in the end I found that being involved in that fandom was far more headache than it was worth....
But I just refuse to let other fans ruin for me the things I love. So I'll enjoy GL:TAS and GL comics and the fandom at large can just go take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. Lol
P.S. I know the show had it's flaws and I won't loose my head over it if you have some criticisms of it. I don't share that fandom's aversion to differing opinions. ;-)